Professor in Civil Engineering, Department of Engineering, Durham University, UK
Research Interests | Publications
| Research Projects | Graduate Students | Journals
| Conferences | Teaching
| Durham colleagues | People
| Information | Organisations |
last update of this page was 14//09/2017
Durham DH1 3LE, UK
T: 0191 334 2504
charles dot augarde at dur.ac.uk
- Computational solid mechanics
of meshless, finite element & scaled boundary methods
performance computing applied to the above
of soft ground tunnelling & limit analysis
of challenging geotechnical problems such as ploughing
- Mechanics of soil-based
construction materials, particularly rammed earth
- Iterative solvers for linear
systems arising from finite element and meshless analysis
- Unsaturated soil mechanics
- Funding for PhDs is always
difficult to obtain but do not let that stop you from considering it.
Apply online here.
- There are some ideas for PhD
projects on the School webpages
but we have many more, so please contact us if you are interested in
any of the topics you see above.
- Two journal papers on the Material Point Method just out (June 2017) and both are Open Access ...
- Charlton, T.J., Coombs, W.M., Augarde, C.E.
2017. iGIMP: An implicit Generalised Interpolation Material Point Method for large deformation elasto-plasticity, Computers and Structures 190:108-125. doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2017.05.004
Cortis, M., Coombs, W.M., Augarde,
C.E., Brown, M.J.Z., Brennan, A., Robinson, S., Imposition of
essential boundary conditions in the material point method, accepted for the International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 10.1002/nme.5606
- A complete list of my
publications can be found here.
Please email me if you
would like a copy of a paper.
- My entries at ResearcherID
Research in the School is managed into Research
Challenges. See the School pages for details. Below are projects in which I am
- "A New Partnership in Offshore Wind" (2017-2022) One of EPSRC's Prosperity Partnerships, announced July 2017. I am one of the CIs. DU news item (14/7/17)
- WINDAfrica, an EPSRC-funded project (2017-2020) using GCRF money to develop performance-based design for foundation systems of WIND turbines in AFRICA led by Ashraf Osman
at Durham. Field, experimental and numerical work with Cambridge,
Pretoria, Khartoum and Dar es Salaam. The EPSRC announcement is here. Webpages to follow.
- BESTOFRAC, an EC-funded Research and Innovation Staff Exchanges (RISE) Marie Sklodowska-Curie network on computational modelling of fracture, led by Bauhaus-Universitaet Weimar. Details here
- Screw piles for
wind energy foundation systems:
EPSRC-funded project in conjunction with Dundee and Southampton
Universities. Postdoc at Durham is Lei Wang.
Project webpages are here.
- TERRE: Training
Engineers and Researchers to Rethink geotechnical
Engineering for a low carbon future, an EC-funded Marie Sklodowska-Curie Training Network. 2015-2019 led by
me at Durham, and overall by Strathclyde University.
funded project involving myself and Will Coombs at
Durham, plus Mike Brown
Brennan at the University of Dundee. Durham PDRA on this is Michael Cortis. The project website is here.
- X-Ray Computed
EPSRC funding was received to set up a new XRCT facility in the School in
2013, for internal examination of a range of materials across engineering,
physics and earth sciences. The machine itself is a Zeiss Versa XRM-410 and has
been scanning since October 2013. Details of the facility and how to
access it are here.
construction materials and Rammed Earth:
Full details of our work in these areas can be found on the School
research webpages here.
Graduate students (&
main supervisor; as second supervisor) Some
theses are available at the Durham University eTheses archive, links
- Past as
primary supervisor. (award date)
- Dimos Koungelis
(2007): (thesis on tunnelling)... working
as an Engineer for Donaldsons Associates in Glasgow
- Paul Jaquin (2008): (thesis on rammed earth)... now an
engineer at LDE Consulting in New Zealand
- Xiaoying Zhuang (2010): (thesis on meshless methods for fracture)... now a Sofja
Kovalevskaja Group Leader, Leibniz Unversität Hannover
Beckett (2011): (thesis on soil-based constuction materials) ...now a lecturer at Edinburgh University
(2013): (thesis on meshless methods)
... now a lecturer at the University of Ulster
(thesis on particle methods for porous flow) ... now a postdoc at
(2015) (thesis on soil-based constuction materials): ...
now working for Cundall in Newcastle upon Tyne
Corbin (2017) (thesis on soil-based constuction materials) ... now working for Durham County Council
- Past as
secondary supervisor (award date)
Oxford, 2002) with Dr Harvey Burd: (thesis)...
(2011): (thesis) ... now a lecturer at Northumbria University in Newcastle upon Tyne
(2011): (thesis) ... now an Associate Professor
at Durham University
(thesis) ... now
working in the Netherlands?
(2016) (thesis) ... has returned to
- Yun Bing (2017) (MScR thesis) ... starting a DPhil at Oxford University
as primary supervisor (start date)
as secondary supervisor (start date)
Current editorial board memberships
- ComGeo, May 2018, Assisi, Italy
- NUMGE, June 2018, Porto, Portugal
- ECCM-ECFD June 2018, Glasgow . Big ECCOMAS conference
- WCCM 13, July 2018, New York, July 2018
- UNSAT 2018, August 2018, Hong Kong, China
- International Symposium on Earthen Structures (ISES2018), August 2018, Bangalore, India.
Courses I will teach in academic year 2017/18 are:
- L1 Mechanics at
the Material Point (Epiphany Term)
- L2 Mechanics of Static Systems (Michaelmas Term)
- L3 Tools for Civil Design
- L4 Structural Design (all
- Final year
projects supervised at Durham
In past years I have taught, L1 Technology for the Modern World,
L1 & L2 Structures, L3 Stress Analysis, L3 Structures, L3
Surveying, L3 Soil Mechanics, L3 CAD, L4 Geotechnical Engineering, L4 Plates
and Shells ...
Outside Durham I contribute to the UK courses on Computational Geotechnics run
by Plaxis. I am also currently External Examiner for undergraduate degrees in Engineering Science at Oxford University
some Durham colleagues
People I work with (past & present & future?)
Research Interests | Positions Available | Publications | Research Projects | Ph.D. Students | Journals | Conferences | Presentations | Teaching | Durham colleagues | People | Information | Organisations | Miscellaneous | Other Links |