SCA WEEKLY EMAIL 16.11.18
1. Investing in Volunteer Interviews
3. DBS Checks
4. One-Off/Other Volunteering Opportunities
5. Christmas Clothing & Gift Collections
6. Events & Other
1. Investing in Volunteer Interviews – help us by sharing your views!
Student Community Action has Investing in Volunteers status, which is a nationally accredited benchmark of excellence for volunteering programmes. Every 3 years, we are assessed to show that we continue to run a quality volunteering programme for all of our students and to showcase all of the improvements we have made over the last 3 years. As part of this process, the assessor would like to speak to a wide range of our student volunteers, as your feedback is the most crucial, because after all you are the driving force behind our projects! The interviews are very informal and will be a group session with fellow volunteers. They should take 20-30 minutes maximum (dependent on the group size). You don’t have to prepare anything for the interview, just turn up and bring your thoughts! Please sign up here:
We hold induction sessions each week so that everyone has a chance to get involved with volunteering throughout the year. The upcoming inductions are as follows:
· Monday 19th: 1-2pm, CG83
· Thursday 22nd: 1-2pm, CG218
No need to sign up to anything, just turn up!
3. DBS Checks (We now have more DBS forms in the office!)
If you are volunteering on a project that works with children, you will need a DBS check. You can apply for a DBS if you bring the correct documentation to an induction! If you are unsure if you need a DBS check or whether you already have a valid certificate, please contact your project leader or contact us in the office (contact details at the bottom of this email).
4. One-Off/Other Volunteering Opportunities
· Goodwill Week – Loads of Volunteering Opportunities! (3rd-9th December)
For one week in December we are hosting lots of volunteering opportunities, as part of existing projects and as one-offs, to encourage all kinds of seasonal goodwill! Think knitting with AGE UK, beach cleaning in Seaham, hot chocolate sales, and wrapping gifts for homeless people – keep your eyes peeled for full calendar of events to be released soon. There will also be a big celebratory fundraiser event at the weekend…all to be revealed soon!
There are two events we need to gauge interest for now in order to arrange, so please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to participate:
– Wednesday 5th Dec Afternoon – We have opportunity for up to 8 students to help OASES spruce up the outdoor learning area at a nursery in Framwellgate Moor.
– Saturday 8th Dec Morning and Afternoon – Up to 10 students can visit Seaham (by the sea!) to plant some outdoor beds at a school in Seaham, and also do a litter pick/beach clean in the afternoon!
· AGE UK Volunteering, ‘Keep Warm, Keep Well’ & Knitting Circle
– Age UK are looking for volunteers to help give out their Keep Warm, Keep Well packs to local elderly people. These contain essential information about how elderly people can keep themselves safe and healthy this winter. This will involve having a chat to the local elderly people and giving out the information to them – the first session is on Thursday 22nd November, 10am-12noon at 68 North Road, which is the AGE UK drop in centre.
– Want to learn how to knit and help a good cause? No knitting experience required as some of our elderly helpers are willing to teach you. Have a cuppa and a chat whilst knitting hats for innocent smoothies – Age UK receives 25p for each one that you make. Starting Friday 30th November 10am-12noon at 68 North Road.
· Zambia Drama Project – Apply Now
Interested in heading off to Zambia in summer 2019 for an amazing 6 weeks of facilitating and leading theatrical, musical and dramatic projects? This is a cultural exchange like no other, an opportunity that Durham University can offer you, that you can take part in and have the summer of a lifetime experiencing what theatre, music and drama is like in Lusaka and Livingstone. You can apply now! The deadline is Friday 30th November. To apply, please contact Chantelle at email@example.com.
· CATSS Applications have Reopened
Thinking about applying to CATTS project but haven’t found time? Well, know is your chance, as applications have reopened! Applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday 12pm on Wednesday 21st November. Please see the application forms below, and apply to either CATSS Primary or CATSS Secondary.
5. Christmas Collection Drives
· Cash for Kids – Gift Collection
Donate a gift and help to make Christmas morning special for a disadvantaged child in the North East.
Cash for Kids’ ‘Mission Christmas’ appeal aims to raise money and donations for children in the North East who are at risk of not receiving a gift on Christmas Day. The appeal aims to collect gifts for over 48,000 children living in poverty in our region. Please donate new, unwrapped gifts of any value which would be suitable for children and young people aged 0-18 years. Donations will be collected at the Careers & Enterprise office based in the Palatine Centre.
Full information about the appeal can be found online at https://planetradio.co.uk/metro/charity/events/metro-mission-christmas/
· North East Homeless – Clothing and Gift Collection
Some of our students are organising a collection of Christmas gift items for homeless people in the North East, for the charity North East Homeless. Please bring the following items to the SCA office (PC012 in the Palatine Centre):
Thermal hats and gloves, warm coats, brand new underwear for all sizes and genders (including bras), hand warmers, tents, rucksacks, sleeping bags, radios, torches, chocolate, drink sachets and flask cups.
· DASH – Clothes Collection
Our SCA DASH volunteers are helping local charity DASH with their clothes collection drive. Please bring donate any clothes that are in a good, wearable condition either to your DASH college collection on the 26th of November between 10-2pm, or bring them to the SCA office any time Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
6. Events & Other
· Bank of England Citizens’ Panels – Join to share your views
The Bank of England’s are recruiting for their new Citizens’ Panel for the North East:
– People from all backgrounds are welcome to apply and you don’t need any knowledge of economics.
– The panel will discuss a range of topics such as jobs, pay, housing and the cost of living. It is a rare opportunity for people to put their views directly to senior policymakers at the Bank.
– The panel will meet for the first time in Newcastle on Wednesday 12 December (6-9pm).
You can find out more and sign-up at www.bankofengland.co.uk/outreach/citizens-panels. The closing date is Tuesday 20 November. If you want more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, please don’t hesitate to get in touch by email, phone or call into the office if you have any questions.
If you would like to opt out of this weekly email, please email – email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.