How to Get Involved

How to Get Involved

There are a few easy steps that must be taken before getting started and we will support you all the way, and we can’t wait to have you on board!

1. Sign up to our newsletter

Sign up to our weekly mailing list to hear about opportunities for volunteering, training, one-off events and more!

Email to register!

2. Find your project!

Browse our website and our Rough Guide to find out all about our projects and the contact email for the Project Leader. Drop them an email to let them know you’d like to get involved- no need to do this if you have already signed up at our Fresher’s Fair.

3. Attend an induction and register on our database!

Volunteer inductions will start in the weeks immediately following the Fresher’s Fair and we run them weekly throughout the year. All new volunteers must attend an induction before they start volunteering. The induction sessions ensure that you are prepared and feel confident to begin volunteering and are aware of important policies and procedures. It will cover child and adult safeguarding including discussing potential safeguarding scenarios in small groups.

You also need to register on our database:

4. Apply for a DBS check! (if required)

You will need a DBS check if you are volunteering with children. You can pick up a form at an induction session or from our office, PC012 in the Palatine.

To apply for a DBS certificate, you will need three forms of ID from the eligible documents list found below. One must come from Group 1 and two documents from Group 1 or 2, one of which must verify your home or student address. Most people will provide a passport, ID card, driving license (provisional or full) and a council tax exemption letter (which can be found on Banner Self Service).

You will need to know your UK national insurance number if you are a UK citizen or have applied for one to be able to work in the UK, but proof is not needed.

DBS Documents

To complete a DBS check we must see THREE documents. At least one must come from Group 1 and two further documents from Group 1 or 2a or 2b, one of which must verify the address you have put down as your current address. (If you are British you will need to know your national insurance number but proof isn’t needed)

Group 1
Current valid passport
Biometric residence permit (UK)
Current driving licence (Full or Provisional) (UK, EU, Isle of Man/Channel Islands)
Birth certificate- issued at time of birth (UK and Channel Islands)
Adoption Certificate

Group 2a
Current photo driving licence (Non-UK must be valid for 12months from date of entering UK)
Birth certificate- issued after time of birth
Marriage/Civil partnership certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
Adoption certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
HM forces ID card (UK)
Firearms licence (UK and Channel Islands)

Group 2b
Bank/building society statement (UK, Channel Islands, EEA)*
Bank/building society account opening confirmation letter (UK)*
Credit card statement (UK, EEA)*
Utility bill (UK) Not mobile telephone bills*
Benefit statement e.g. child allowance*
A document from central/local government/government agency/local authority giving entitlement (UK and Channel Islands) e.g. customs and revenue, job centre, social security*
Mortgage statement (UK or EEA)**
Financial statement e.g. ISA (UK)**
P45/P60 statement (UK and Channel Islands)**
Council tax statement (UK and Channel Islands)** (or Council Tax Exemption Letter which can be found on DUO)
Work permit/Visa (UK) Valid up to expiry date.
Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider
EU national ID card
Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands)
Letter from Head Teacher or College Principal (UK, only 16-19 year olds and used when all other documents have been exhausted)

If a document is denoted with:
* it should be less than 3 months old
** it should be less than 12 months old
We cannot accept photocopies or items printed from the internet