This website uses cookies: That's fine - Find Out More
Login with your CIS user details

Welfare Services University Wide

The Welfare Team at college can also be contacted for information on any of the following.

DSU Welfare

The Student's Union elects an Education and Welfare Officer. This is a sabbatical position and this year it is held by Nicky Godfrey ( Nicky sits on the DSU Welfare Committee, and is responsible for coordinating the communication of welfare information between colleges and the university, as well as liasing with the University Counselling Service and the Accommodation Office, amongst others, to ensure Durham offers the best student support possible. She is also someone who anyone can approach with any welfare issue.

The DSU also has an Advice Centre, which can be found on the top floor of the union. The Advice Centre offers free, independent, confidential and impartial advice on all topics, and has particular expertise in finance/student funding and hardship issues, academic issues and subject queries, employment, and can be an initial point of contact for legal advice. They offer a representation service for academic hearings as well as in small claims court and benefit appeals should this be needed. They also provide free emergency condoms and lend out attack alarms. If the Advice centre is unable to help you, they will be able to point you in the direction of someone who can. They are open between 10:00am and 4.00pm Mondays-Thursdays, and close early on Fridays at 3:30pm. Telephone (0191) 334 1775 (or 41775 from an internal phone) or email

University Counselling

The University Counselling Service is there to offer counselling to help students to feel better about their lives both inside and outside of the university. Students are offered support in dealing with a broad range of difficulties including exam anxiety, depression, suicidal feelings, stress, past traumas, bereavement, sexuality and gender concerns, family problems, or feeling a need to make important changes in their lives. The service is located in Elvet Riverside 1 (room A70), on the top floor, in a quiet part of the building to provide a relaxed and confidential atmosphere. Appointments are from Mondays to Fridays, last about 50 minutes, and can be with a man or woman. All counsellors are experienced and professionally trained. You don't need a referral from your GP to attend. The service can be contacted by telephoning (0191) 334 2200 (or 42200 from any internal phone), or by emailing


Nightline is a confidential, anonymous, listening service run by students for students. They will not advise you - they are simply there to listen in a totally impartial and non-judgemental way about absolutely anything. You can also drop in to the office, behind the Dun Cow pub on Old Elvet (opposite Old Shire Hall). They also provide free condoms, attack alarms and anonymous pregnancy testing, as well as being an information service with taxi numbers, the Nightbus timetable, and many useful telephone numbers, from pizza takeaways to department numbers. This operates between 9pm and 7am every night of term, and you can talk to a guy or a girl. The number is on the back of your campus card. They can also call you back on a landline in the Durham area. Have a look at the website here.


The Nightbus runs each night around locations particularly used by students. It runs from 9pm and begins its last run at 2am, ensuring that students are able to get around Durham safely, giving priority to lone travellers. There is a small fare to use it. Try and carry around one of the wallet sized timetables, or download one from here. You can also phone the driver on 07854 838890 – who is great at taking small diversions to pick you up or ensure you get to your destination safely. More information can be found here.


The LGBTa (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Association) provides a meeting place and support service for any student within the University. They hold weekly social events and many clubbing/day trips out to surrounding cities (Newcastle, Manchester, York) and to other universities. The main safe space social is on a Monday evening from 8.30pm in the Riverside Café. Check out their website On the welfare side, they have all sorts of resources including a lending library of books and a big collection of information leaflets on various topics, definitely including but not limited to safer sex. They supply extra-strong condoms, lubricant and dental dams (you can actually help yourself if you just nip into the Blue Room in the union any time, even if it's unoccupied - there's a rack on the table in there). They also offer a private drop-in service open to any student on 12-5pm Tuesday, 12-2pm Wednesday, 9am-12pm Thursday in the Blue Room on Level C (down the corridor opposite Riverside Cafe.) They are not counsellors, but between them they have a huge number of contacts, considerable experience and some specialist training. You can contact them any time by e-mail If you send a blank email they will send you full details of social events and info about the Association. Jut put 'associationlist' in the subject bar of your email. Similarly a term card of activities can be found on their website. Phone (0191) 334 1772 (41772 from an internal phone) (the Blue Room has an answer phone).

The college elects an LGBT Officer who has links with The LGBTa and Pink Soc. This is a specific point of contact within college and is also someone who liaises closely with the college Welfare Team. Their number is up around college alongside those members of the college Welfare Team. They are somebody who can be approached in total confidence.

LGBTa Officer
Lucie Daniel-Watanabe
University Security

The University Security can be contacted in the case of an emergency on (0191) 334 1229.