The Physics of Motorsport

Physics motorsport

Saturday 29 October 2016

Professor Richard Bower takes us on a journey through the Physics of Motorsport (3:45 PM, Empty Shop).

What does Motorsport have to do with Cosmology? I love the broad span of physics. Both Cosmology and Formula One are a matter of understanding, of seeing through complicated equations to the principles that underly them, of developing an intuition about how things – in this case, cars and galaxies – will behave under extreme conditions. So while my day job, as a Cosmologist, is understanding the Universe, I have a secret life understanding how racing cars work.

In this meeting of the Cafe Scientifique, I'll take us on a journey in pursuit of the ultimate racing car. We'll design our racer as a though experiment, applying simple physics to understand the trade-offs that make a car a winner. Our journey will let us understand what makes a car skid and what ultimately limits its lap time. It'll help us understand how real-world cars work, and I hope you'll see the cars roaring around the circuit in a new way.

The material I'll present formed the basis of a BBC article that I co-wrote with Jenson Button... who knows where this journey might take us next!

If you require any more information then we would be more than happy to help, please contact us at the email addresses given on the contact page.