April & May 2013
Pictures from a walk in late April from Todmorden to Hebden Bridge via Stoodley Pike. (L) Former toll cottage on the toll road to Oldroyd. (R) Stoodley Pike and its monument in the distance.
Kirkstall Abbey, north-west of Leeds, was a daughter house of Fountains Abbey, founded c.1152.
(L) Rowing boats on the Wear. (R) Statue of Charles Vane, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (Lord Lieutenant of Durham 1842-1854) in the market place.
Views of Durham Cathedral.
(L) Tram and (R) the 125 ton Ruston-Bucyrus steam shovel (built in 1931) at the Beamish museum.
(L) Winding gear, from the nearby former Beamish 2nd Pit, and (R) the colliery village.
Royal Armouries Museum
The Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds displays the UK’s national collection of arms and armour. Its most striking feature is the the multi-storey “Hall of Steel” (R). The collection is large and it is easy to become saturated with the endless objects for stabbing and shooting…
This entry was posted in Historical
and tagged abbey
, old buildings
, West Yorkshire
. Bookmark the permalink