Identifying threshold concepts in postgraduate statistical teaching to non-statisticians

Andrew Keith Wills

Abstract

In this enquiry I discuss and investigate potential threshold concepts in the postgraduate statistics curriculum for medics and scientists (non-statisticians). In doing so, I also reflect on the elements of statistics these students need to learn and how they learn. Threshold concepts are a useful framework for thinking about the content of a curriculum. Having made large changes to the Units that I teach, I wanted to assess whether these changes were justified and whether there was rationale for further modifications, for example;   emphasising particular elements of the curriculum and/or deemphasising or dropping others. I used a questionnaire, administered to staff and students to try to identify potential threshold concepts. My hypothesis was that sampling variation (i.e. random/ sampling error, uncertainty) as coded by the sampling distribution is a threshold concept. The results, while preliminary, support this hypothesis and stimulated deeper thinking about the pedagogy of my teaching to these audiences.

Full Text:

PDF

References

Altman, D, G. (1994). The scandal of poor medical research. BMJ. 308;203.

Anderson B, L., Williams S., & Schulkin J. (2013). Statistical Literacy of Obstetrics-Gynecology Residents. Journal of Graduate Medical Education, 5(2):272-275.

Cousin, G. (2006) An introduction to threshold concepts, Planet No 17, December 2006, pp 4-5.

Bulmer, M., O’Brien, M., & Price, S. (2007). Troublesome concepts in statistics: a student perspective on what they are and how to learn them, UniServe Science, Proceedings of the Assessment in Science Teaching and Learning Symposium, University of Sydney, September 28-29, 2007, pp 9 – 15

Chalmers, I., & Glasziou, P. (2009). Avoidable waste in the production and reporting of research evidence. Lancet. 374:86-89.

Dunne, T., Low, T., & Ardington, C. (2003). Exploring Threshold concepts in basic Statistics, using the Internet, The International Association for Statistical Education, Statistics & the Internet, Berlin, Germany, 2003, (IASE/ISI Satellite, 2003)

Gal, I. (2002). Adults’ statistical literacy: Meanings, components, responsibilities. International Statistical Review. 70,1,1-51.

Garfield, J. (1995). How students learn statistics. International Statistical Review. 63, 1, 25-34.

Gigerenzer, G (2003). Reckoning with risk: learning to live with uncertainty. London, UK: Penguin

Khan, R. N. (2014). Identifying Threshold Concepts in First-Year Statistics, Educational Research and Perspectives 41, 217-231

Ioannidis J. P. A. (2005). Why Most Published Research Findings Are False. PLoS Med 2(8): e124. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0020124

Meyer, J. H. F., & Land, R. (2003). Threshold concepts and troublesome knowledge: linkages to ways of thinking and practising, In: Rust, C. (ed.), Improving Student Learning - Theory and Practice Ten Years On. Oxford: Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development (OCSLD), pp 412-424.

MacDougall, M. (2010). Threshold concepts in statistics and online discussion as a basis for curriculum innovation in undergraduate medicine. HEA Maths, Stats & OR Network: MSOR Connections Vol 10 No 3 Autumn Term 2010, pp 21-24 & 41.

Nikiforidou, Z., Lekka, A., & Pange, J. (2010). Statistical literacy at University level: the current trends. Procedia Social and Behavioural Sciences. 9: 795-799

Norton, S. (2015). Sampling distributions as a threshold concept in learning classical statistical inference: an evaluative case study report. King’s Learning Institute Higher Education Research Network Journal (HERN J): Prizewinning Essays 2015, pages 58-71:

Tankard, J, W .(1979). The H.G. Wells quote on statistics: a question of accuracy. Historia Mathematics. 9. 33-36.

Refbacks

• There are currently no refbacks.