Here are some more scenes from the 2014 York Mystery Plays, taken from the second Sunday of performance (20th July). They show:
1. The Baptism of Christ, St. Sampson’s Square (NOT an advert for Pizza Express!), brought forth by HIDDen Theatre Company
(John the Baptist: Mark Burghagen; Jesus: Ehren Mierau; God: Charles Hunt; Angel 1: James Witchwood; Angel 2: Stephanie Richter; Angel 3: Kate Thomas; Waggon Master: Alan Gillott; Director: Laura-Elizabeth Rice; Production Assistant: Diana Wyatt; other credits and details available on the programme and at http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/).
2. The Woman Taken in Adultery and the Raising of Lazarus, brought forth by York St. John University, processed by the Taborers’ Society
(performers: Justine, Buchanan, Jess Chaney, Jonny Curd, Georgie Fishkin, Lauren Hall, Megan Hardcastle, David Harrison, Charlie Johnston, Gemma Keane, Janice Newton, Victoria Sharples, Keelan Swift, Kirsty Wolff; Staff Production Team: Jules Dorey Richmond, John Merrylees, David Richmond, Helen Turner, Professor Gweno Williams; other credits and details available on the programme and at http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/; information about the Taborers’ Society can be found at http://www.pipeandtaborcompendium.co.uk/information/Taborers%20Society/TaborersSocUK.html).
3. Pageant Wagon from the Harrowing of Hell
(brought forth by the Parish Church of St. Luke the Evangelist; Waggon master: Paul Smith, assisted by Steve Benford, John Ledger, Steve Logun and James Smith; further credits and details available on the programme and at http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/)
4. The Resurrection, Dean’s Park, brought forth by the Company of Merchant Taylors
(Pageant Master: John Russell for the Merchant Taylors; Artistic Director: lindsay Ibbotson; Production Assistant: Chris Warren; Cast: Nick Ibbotson [Pilate], Robert Watson [Caiaphas], Ann Bowes [Annas], John Heaton [Centurion], Claire Mollan [Soldier 1], Helen Jarvis [Soldier 2], Joyce Clayton [Soldier 3], Pam Jackson-Vickers [Soldier 4], Donna Hall [Mary], Natalie Shannon [Angel], Deborah Mitchell and Sophie Montgomery [Voices]; further credits and details available on the programme and at http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/).
5. A FABULOUS, Steampunk-fashioned Last Judgement, brought forth by the Company of Merchant Adventurers with Pocklington School, complete with masked devils, bespectacled good & evil souls, and a ‘Ravens’ Morris dance. You can see Ms Jessica Loveland-Chambers receiving a ‘bad soul’ rose, bearing the tag ‘in hell to dwell withouten end!’
(for the Pocklington School, Actors: Alan Heaven [God], Hugh Stubbins [Jesus], Laura Arnott & Emma Burke [Angels], Heather Young & Krystina Meinardi [Apostles], James Harrison & Sam Ryan [Devils]; Emily Boddy, Hannah Brice, Imogen Heaven, Billy Ibbotson, Lawrence Mason, Anthony Rose & Josie Wareham [Souls]; Production Team: Emma Cunningham, Steven Ryan, Allison Bond, Cheryl White, Alan Heaven; further credits and details available on the programme and at http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/; more information about the Company of Merchant Taylors may be found at www.theyorkcompany.co.uk; more information about the Ravens Morris can be found at www.ravensmorris.com).
(thanks to Ms Jessica Loveland-Chambers for being a good sport and a bad soul!)