Minutes for the 1st JCR meeting of Michaelmas Term 2017
Sunday 15th October, 7pm, Dining Hall
Apologies are to be submitted to Owen, JCR Chair, at JCRapologies@gmail.com or to the Exec Mailbox by the Dining Hall before 12 noon on the day of the meeting.
- The minutes of the last meeting
These are available on the JCR Website.
- Matters Arising
There are no matters arising.
- JCR Announcements
Announcements from JCR officers.
- Questions of Officers
-Question about the state of the gym and the membership cards
Owen answered that the gym is 50/50 owned by the JCR and the college so it takes more time to set these things up
There are no motions to discuss.
- Elections, Hustings and Interviews
- Assistant Treasurer
Proposed by: Amy Lewis
Seconded by: Isabel Dungworth
- Oliver Prove, first year physics student
- Since learning about the JCR, I have wanted to be involved in some way, and contribute to the workings of the JCR
- The position of assistant treasurer immediately stood out to me as a role that I would be very interested and hopefully competent in undertaking.
- After all, I am Swiss, and I was naturally born with the ability to manipulate people’s money.
- When I was made aware of these available roles I was initially quite nervous about applying. I was convinced by members of my corridor that applying for the role was a good idea, mainly due to the fact that they assured I did not in fact have to give a speech.
- You can imagine that it was therefore quite a shock for me when I woke up yesterday morning with an email in my inbox telling me I had to prepare a 3-minute speech to deliver in front of the entire college.
- I am not the best public speaker, as you can probably tell, but my skills lie with manipulating numbers, collecting data, and making spreadsheets: skills which I believe I could use to carry out my role effectively
Q: Do you have enough time to dedicate to the role?
A: Believes he can manage it, physics is a tough course but with good time management shouldn’t be a problem
- Year Abroad Representative
Proposed by: Laura Dean
Seconded by: Alice Fieth
- Fourth year studying French and Spanish and have spent last year abroad
- Split that year into 3 parts, 3 months in Biarritz (SW of France) then, 8 months teaching English in Cartagena (south of Spain) and finally spent the summer in Nice working.
- Experience different aspects of living abroad so I can advise better
- Aim to bridge the gap between second year students who are taking a year abroad and fourth years
- Introduce different networks to get second years and final years in contact
- Help students while on their year abroad with pastoral support
- Make the year abroad students feel more like part of the college by creating a termly newsletter, by Facebook
Proposed by: Celia Stanford
Seconded by: Anna Simpson
- Studies French and History
- Split the year abroad between a 3-month Erasmus placement in Dijon and a 6 month work placement in Paris.
- Year abroad can appear terrifying but she will be there to help you with questions, doubts and worries.
- Organize a get together at Mary’s fairly soon for those who are going or even thinking about going so people can get in touch with fourth years that experienced this
- Organize more of those meetups on the second and third term
- Setting up a Facebook group for any other questions
-Williamson JCR is being left at a terrible state, request for people to clean up after themselves when they leave the JCR