The Inconvenient Truth Behind the Sheraton Park Move – Danger or Opportunity?

By Pen-Yuan Hsing PhD Student in the Department of Biosciences As I write this post, I recall being riveted by the seminal climate change documentary An Inconvenient Truth back in 2006. In the film (referring to the crises around anthropogenic climate change), former US Vice President Al Gore noted that the Chinese word for crises […]

A Psychological Experiment called ‘Ustinov’

By Gaurish Chawla Tasked with looking for a story for The Ustinovian, I approached a friend* with the intention of considering Ustinov from another perspective. Looking at the dark sides of things often makes us uncomfortable, but this conversation was refreshing, honest, and poignant. After all, living in Ustinov is a radically new experience for most students. “Come […]

Eurovision: A Night of Music and Politics

By James O’Neill, Café des Arts Team Lead The annual event of live streaming the Eurovision Song Contest traditionally falls into the capable hands of the GCR at Ustinov College. This year, however, we requested that the Café des Arts, in conjunction with Café Politique (both within the Global Citizenship Programme) arrange this particular favourite in […]

Death of Multiculturalism

By Ben McGukin On Wednesday 8th March, the Ustinov Seminar held the event ‘The Death of Multiculturalism.’ The aim of the event was to discuss the concept of multiculturalism and interrogate whether it has ‘succeeded’ or ‘failed.’ Joining us for the workshop was Dr Matthew Nicholson from Durham Law School, who was a fantastic speaker […]

Challenges of Careers in Arts and Culture

By SeowLi Khor On Saturday 11th March 2017, three speakers talked about their experiences and the skills needed to succeed in their careers. Postgraduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines attended the event. There were Q&A sessions after each talk which allowed the audience to ask questions. In addition, there was also a […]