Students Shout Out Against Soaring College Accommodation Fees

Interviews and photography by Iqbal Ahmed, text by Kristine Bagdassarian Recent announcements regarding the annual increase in college rent fees for Durham University this year was met with more than quiet frustration by the student body. The £300-£400 rise in the prices urged many students to abandon their Friday lunchtime in favour of making a stand […]

The Inconvenient Truth Behind the Sheraton Park Move – Danger or Opportunity?

By Pen-Yuan Hsing PhD Student in the Department of Biosciences As I write this post, I recall being riveted by the seminal climate change documentary An Inconvenient Truth back in 2006. In the film (referring to the crises around anthropogenic climate change), former US Vice President Al Gore noted that the Chinese word for crises […]

Civil Contestation at Durham: Fossil Fuel Divestment, Climate Change and Being an Objective Scientist

by Mika Laiho   ESTABLISHING THE “ENERGY-CLIMATE CHANGE” NEXUS   According to evidence from Earth scientists, climate change has occurred across several periods of history before the twenty-first century while estimates of the number of times mass extinction has occurred range from as few as five to more than twenty. Discourse about climate change is […]

A Psychological Experiment called ‘Ustinov’

By Gaurish Chawla Tasked with looking for a story for The Ustinovian, I approached a friend* with the intention of considering Ustinov from another perspective. Looking at the dark sides of things often makes us uncomfortable, but this conversation was refreshing, honest, and poignant. After all, living in Ustinov is a radically new experience for most students. “Come […]