first night

POSH

Allegra Dowley gets up close and personal to the Riot Club in LTC's production of 'POSH'

‘Posh’ by Laura Wade is one of my favorite plays. Based on the Riot Club at the University of Oxford, it is inherently funny yet deeply chilling. The Director chose a good time to put on this production, with the recent release of the film ‘The Riot Club‘ which may have partially contributed the high interest in this production. 

I originally thought Empty Shop was an odd choice of venue for this play. However, this intimate setting submerged the audience in the performance, making the experience far more real and captivating. The choreography of this piece was brilliant- I could not believe that they managed to fit so many actors into such a confined space. This being said, it did mean that the cast was very cramped which lead to a few clumsy collisions with the set!

Every member of the cast was fully committed to the performance, giving it a high and sustained level of energy throughout. However, it must be said that the production was let down by the inconsistency of the cast’s performances. There were moments of pure genius when people got it right, but others when it fell a bit flat. There was a tendency to over- act, which is highly unnecessary due to the brilliance of the script itself. It was as though some members of the cast had got their inspiration from the ‘Gap Yah’ video, creating caricatures that were fairly clichéd.

Having said this, the cast still managed to evoke the right emotions from the audience at the right times. There were moments when my sides hurt from laughing so much- notably their a capella rendition of ‘Wearing my Rolex’. Contrastingly the cast managed to create a truly horrifying scene when they assault the pub’s landlord, during which gasps were audible from the audience. What is particularly uncomfortable about this play is its ability to make you feel that you may have met similar characters in your own life. Jack Gault as Harry Villiers did this particularly well. 

Special mention must be given to Robert Double (Toby Maitland), Adam Simpson (George Balfour) and Dominic McGovern (Miles Richards) for their performances. However, the standout performances came from Eliza Cummings- Cove as Rachel, and Harvey Comerford as Guy Bellingfield. Eliza’s performance was incredibly natural and therefore believable, whilst Harvey created an adorably naïve character and had excellent comic timing.

Overall, this was a thoroughly enjoyable evening at the theatre, and I would highly recommend anyone who has never seen this play to go and see it. Although you’ll be lucky to get a ticket with this production deservedly being a sell- out!

14 November 2014

The views expressed in the reviews and comments on this page are those of the reviewer, and are not representative of the views of DST or Durham University.
Our theatre that speaks for itself

DST is proud to be supported by: PwC