first night

Sunshine on Leith

Lily Walwyn watches Trevelyan College Musical Society's heartwarming summer production.

Produced by Asher Glinsman and directed by Sorrel Brown, TCMS’ rendition of Stephen Greenhorn’s ‘Sunshine on Leith’, featuring the songs of The Proclaimers, was a thoroughly entertaining and well-executed performance of a story which is equal parts light-hearted and sobering. Set in Edinburgh, the story explores themes of family, love (and its complications), and anxieties about the future, which were dealt with sensitively and convincingly by the cast.

Despite a few microphone hiccups, the show ran smoothly, with TCMS as usual displaying their immense musical talent with an accomplished and dynamic band. Credit should be given to the cast for their valiant (and mostly convincing) attempts at Scottish accents. Though the set was simple, our imagination was sparked by imaginative lighting and sound design, which contributed to our immersion in and enjoyment of the production. In addition to this, the choreography and direction must be commended, with particularly excellent numbers including ‘Should Have Been Loved’ and ‘Let’s Get Married’ – in which the cast excelled themselves, particularly in their hilarious portrayal of slightly drunk pub regulars in the latter, which went down a storm with the audience.

The second half began with a strong performance by the male leads in ‘Then I Met You’, which set the scene for a well-paced and compelling second half, culminating in a cheery finale - an unapologetically upbeat rendition of the classic Proclaimers hit ‘I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)’ which left the audience grinning. Notable performances include Adam Richardson as Davy, whose natural on stage chemistry with Nelly Murray (Yvonne) allowed us to fully immerse ourselves in the ups and downs of the storyline; and Nick Denton as Rab, who provided us with both pathos and comic relief. For me, the musical highlight of the show was Darcy van Eerten’s stunning, pitch perfect rendition of the title song, breathtaking and extremely moving. 

Overall, ‘Sunshine on Leith’ is a solid and engaging production, and the whole cast and crew should be commended for their efforts. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone after some light comedic entertainment and catchy tunes. 

18 June 2016

The views expressed in the reviews and comments on this page are those of the reviewer, and are not representative of the views of DST or Durham University.
Our theatre that speaks for itself

DST is proud to be supported by: PwC