Livers’ Out

DSU Accommodation Office

The DSU Accommodation Office can be found on Level A of the Students’ Union and is open throughout the year. Office opening hours are:

  • Monday – Thursday
    10:00am to 4:00pm
  • Friday
    10:30am to 3:30pm

The Accommodation Office can provide advice on a range of house hunting issues and also advertises properties in Durham. The Accommodation Office can also help to resolve any problems with landlords or housemates, as well as check contracts and tenancy agreements before you sign them.

Looking for a House or Housemate?

If you’re looking for a house or housemate, the Durham Student Pad website is accredited by the DSU Accommodation Office. It offers facilities to search for properties and a message board if you’re looking for or wanting to advertise for housemates.

Things to consider if you have a property in Durham:

Rubbish Collection

For information regarding the collection of rubbish, as well as recycling collection and the disposal of other items, such as electricals:

Car Parking

You may have a house within the Durham City Controlled Parking Zone, in which case you’ll need to apply for a Residents Permit. These are normally limited to one per household.

For information on the types of permits available and provides maps of the areas in which parking permits are required:

You can apply for a parking permit from the Parking Shop, which can be contacted at:

  • 56 North Road,
  • Durham City,
  • Durham,
  • DH1 4SF
  • Tel: 0191 384 6633

The opening hours for the Parking Shop are:

  • Monday to Saturday
    8:00am to 6:00pm (excluding Bank Holidays)

Council Tax

If you are a full time student at the University, you are entitled to exemption from paying Council Tax. For further information and to request a council tax exemption form, see the Durham Planning and Assessment Website.


Please keep excessive noise to a minimum and consider your neighbours when watching TV or playing music. If you are having house parties, remember to be polite and inform your neighbours. This will help to maintain good relationships with your neighbours and also be a positive reflection on the University and students in Durham.

Have a question about living out?

You can contact the Livers Out Representative using the e-mail address on the Committee page.