QCL Noise Zones - what do you think?

Tell us what you think about the new 'noise zones' in Queen's Campus Library. Let us know what improvements need to be made.

Re: QCL Noise Zones - what do you think?

Postby wbqt83 » 10 Mar 2010, 13:44

Thank you for your comments on the noise zones at Queen’s Campus Library.

You are welcome to speak to library staff, and ask for their assistance if anyone is talking in the silent area. Likewise if you are unable to concentrate in the computer area due to inconsideration on the part of your fellow students, please ask a member of library staff to intervene on your behalf.

We are going to move some of the furniture during the summer so that the zones work better, with more group work tables in the group zone and collections of books between the silent and quiet study areas to act as a buffer. Hopefully these changes will go towards solving some of the problems you have been experiencing.

Yours sincerely

Jane Hodgson
Queen’s Campus Library Manager
Helen Thornber
Communications and Marketing
wbqt83

Postby d70a7t » 20 Apr 2010, 11:48

I think that the noise zones are a good idea, but in line with some of the other replies, I think that they need to be enforced more fully. The silent area is a good size, but for those sat on the larger tables between the individually sectioned tables and the toilets, the current position of the blue board means that loud groups of friends sit on the two long table directly next to the toilet and the noise infiltrates throughout the silent section. Whilst the blue board is there to restrict noise flow, I actually think that it increases it as groups of people sit on the tables nearest the toilets unaware that individuals are trying to work in silence on the other side of the board, because they can't see them.

Whilst both of the areas that I have discussed are in the silent zone, the current layout doesn't facilitate silent study in these areas. I suggest moving the partition board into a different position, perhaps to seperate the toilet from the tables and have 5 tables in one section instead of three in one and two in another. This would make people more aware of how the noise they are making is disturbing others.

I also think that replacing the long tables in this area of the silent study section with individual work spaces would help to quiten the area, and means the current tables could be put in the group work area, where they would be most useful.
d70a7t

Postby wbqt83 » 21 Apr 2010, 14:02

Thanks for your comments, we really appreciate the feedback we get and it will be taken into account when making any changes to the layout of library furniture over the summer period.
Helen Thornber
wbqt83

Postby tfhq78 » 25 Apr 2010, 16:46

jsfr36 wrote:As for the red zone, it seems that a sizeable minority of students simply do not understand the meaning of "silent". There is always, without failure, a group of people talking, someone on a mobile phone, people wandering up for a chat; I've even seen people talking on Skype! I've found the "silent room" no better, with people continually wandering out to chat to their friends, then coming back in, and so on. And I have never seen anyone asked to be quiet, except by other exasperated students. Additionally, it may be beneficial to have a "silent; no laptops" area, as working whilst someone is bashing away on a keyboard, or hearing that infernal "Welcome to Windows Vista" tune time after time, I find to be nigh on impossible.

I agree completely with this. At times cafe aroma is quieter than the silent room. I was in there studying this weekend, and on one occassion, two girls decided to actually move tables around to make a group working space for themselves, whilst talking. On the other occassion, two other students decided to talk loudly to each other, only to be surprised when I pointed out it was a 'silent room', so could they please be quiet.

We need more group study areas for these people, and staff actually enforcing the silent zones. I agree with a 'no laptops' area too- they can also be noisy, if unintentionally.
tfhq78

Postby wbqt83 » 01 Nov 2010, 11:09

Thanks for your comments, they will be passed to the manager of Queen's Campus Library. If you are having problems with noise in silent areas and don't feel you can approach other students yourself, please do tell a member of staff or email stockton.library@durham.ac.uk with the time, date and details of where the noise was happening. They may be able to do something at the time, and all feedback will help inform decisions about signage.

Unfortunately we do not have the staffing levels to regularly monitor all areas of the Library. On most occasions we find that students respect the level of noise appropriate for areas, but we appreciate that on some occasions a minority of users do not respect the rules of the library and disrupt others.

We have now got two large banners at the entrance of the silent area, which we hoped would make it very clear that people were entering the silent area. We do everything we can to try and communicate this to students, if you have any other ideas for making this clear please do let us know.

Helen Thornber
wbqt83

Postby d73v8b » 10 Dec 2010, 12:48

Hi,

I took a year out and having returned this year have discovered the 'zones' within the library. It is clear how the library has been divided and with the two unavoidable banners enforcing complete silence before entering that area this is a good effort to deter noise levels...however it still does not appear to be quite enough to stop students talking. The fact that there are group tables in the silent area, almost welcomes students to talk and that is exactly what is happening each and every day.

As a quick fix can these tables have dividers inserted on to them, such as those that are at the far end of the floor? There is almost complete silence in this area and its not difficult to see why...the dividers make it near impossible for groups to chat. Just a suggestion. Apart from what has already been done, I see no other way of reducing noise and allowing individual study only unless major changes take place.
d73v8b

Postby wbqt83 » 15 Dec 2010, 09:57

The Queen's Campus Library Manager has been trying to source more table dividers for some time (and if anyone reading this can suggest a supplier please let us know). There are plans, whether we are able to obtain dividers or not, to ensure that there is less of a group study feel in the Silent Zone in the coming terms. Thank you for your feedback it helps to demonstrate we are trying to do what students want and need.
Helen Thornber
wbqt83

Postby tfhq78 » 12 Jan 2012, 13:15

Noise zones don't work- all of the computers are in the group study zone, which doesn't make any sense. At the moment, there is not one computer room in the library that is silent.
tfhq78

Postby d67a9y » 18 Jan 2012, 16:57

Thanks for your comment, which I'll pass on to the Queen's Campus Library manager.
d67a9y

Postby dul0jah » 19 Jan 2012, 11:06

tfhq78 wrote:Noise zones don't work- all of the computers are in the group study zone, which doesn't make any sense. At the moment, there is not one computer room in the library that is silent.

Space is limited in the indivudual study carrels in the silent zone so instead of providing PCs we have 15 loanable laptops and 16 netbooks which can be used throughout the library via wi-fi access. To register to use the loanable laptop service please ask at the library help and information desk.

Best regards from
Jane Hodgson
Queen's Campus Library Manager
dul0jah

Previous

Return to Queen's Campus Noise Zones