Library 24/7 2010 - General Feedback

What do you like about 24/7 opening? What doesn't work? Have you had any problems? Let us know any thoughts you have about Library 24/7.

Re: Library 24/7 - General Feedback

Postby dlck34 » 31 May 2010, 23:58

Thank you so much for the 24/7 library this year.
I'm always someone who can't work if in my own room (or indeed in my house this year, where music is always on etc) and so the 24/7 library was honestly a godsend- I have no idea what I would have done without it.
I know it would have been expensive as to lighting up an entire library for just the 10 or so people who were left after 4am, but to those 10 people (of whom I was regularly one), the library being there was the only thing allowing them to work- it was an absolute necessity.
Maybe if costing is a serious issue, only open up one of the floors next year- but please make sure that the 24/7 status remains!
Thanks again.
dlck34

Postby d7308y » 01 Jun 2010, 20:15

Having the library opened 24/7 is definitely very very helpful. Thank you so much!
I believe it would be so helpful if the library can extend its opening hours during other terms and holidays as well, even if it's not opened 24/7 but e.g. extended till 2am every night.

As for the seat problem, couldn't the library install card-slot or something of the equivalent on tables?
Every user of the library access the library via the campus card, and I'm guessing once patrolling librarians see empty seats without their campus card slotted in, they're entitled to remove the belongings on such seats and move them to the enquiries desk.

PS. Oh, and having lockers will definitely be helpful.
d7308y

Postby wpkt23 » 04 Jun 2010, 12:48

Having the library (queens) open 24/7 over the exam period has been fantastic, I have used it quite a few times as I prefer working late

Particulary at queens I have also noticed that it has meant that less people are using the library during the day which is better in terms of knowing that either a pc or somewhere to work will be free.

I would like to see the 24/7 opening continued next year and if possible I think that it should be extended into other parts of the year, if this can't be all year around due to cost then I would at least like to see the last 2 weeks of the first term and then the last 3 weeks of the epiphany term when lots of assignments are due, but then also start the 24/7 opening for the exam period during the easter break. As somebody else has already suggested at least having the library open until 2am would be an improvement on the normal opening hours

Thanks
Rob
wpkt23

Postby wbqt83 » 18 Jun 2010, 14:33

Library 24/7 has generated plenty of discussion this term and we've had lots of feedback from both those who've loved it and those who loathed it. We now need to carry out a review and we'd like you to give us your final verdict by filling in our survey. Whether you used Library 24/7 or not you can share your thoughts and enter a draw to win Amazon vouchers and SIGNED Bill Bryson bags http://www.dur.ac.uk/library/247/win/. The survey closes on Friday 25 June.

The review of Library 24/7 will take into account the results from this survey as well as other factors such as usage, cost and the feedback we've had throughout the six weeks. Based on this we'll make a decision on future extensions to our opening hours during our busiest periods. We'd also like to take this opportunity to thank students and staff who've taken their time to share their feedback during the last term, we've had a brilliant response and we'd like to encourage you to continue to let us know how we can develop our service at any time of the year.

Complete the survey and enter the draw now at http://www.dur.ac.uk/library/247/win/
Helen Thornber
Communications and Marketing
wbqt83

Previous

Return to Library 24/7