Hatfield College History: Principals & Masters
David Melville 1813 - 1904
(Principal 1846 -1851)
The first Principal of Bishop Hatfield's Hall, David Melville, was born in 1813. He was educated at Shrewsbury School (1829-32) and at Brasenose College, Oxford, where he was a Scholar from 1832 to 1835. At Oxford he graduated as BA in 1836, and received an MA in 1839. He became a deacon at Oxford in 1840 and was ordained priest at Durham in 1844, having been appointed Tutor of Durham University two years earlier.
From 1846 to 1851 he was the youthful, progressive Principal of Bishop Hatfield's Hall, who devised and successfully put into effect the new system of university residence. Melville married Emma Hill on 28 July 1848. This was one of the factors which eventually lead to his resignation from Hatfield; Warden Thorp, the head of the University, had stipulated that the Principal of Bishop Hall should remain unmarried. While still Tutor at Durham, Melville was inducted as Rector of Shelsey Beauchamp in Worcestershire (1845) with a licence of non-residence from the Bishop.
On his departure from Durham in 1851, Melville withdrew to Worcester, where he was immediately made an Honorary Canon, and retained the living of Shelsey for a further six years. He then became Rector of Great Whitley in the same county and diocese. Subsequently, he was Rural Dean of Worcester 1865-92, Canon of Worcester Cathedral 1881-1902, Sub-Dean and Examining Chaplain to the Bishop from 1886, was awarded an honorary DD by Durham University in 1882. He died at Worcester in 1904 at the age of 91 years. Melville's life forms a central theme in Josceline Dimbleby's book A Profound Secret (Doubleday, 2004).
Dr William Henderson
William Henderson was born in 1819, the eldest son of Admiral George Henderson. He was a Demy (Scholar) at Magdalen College, Oxford. He received aa BA (Literae Humaniores and Maths) in 1840, an MA in 1843, a DCL in 1853 and an honorary Durham DD in 1882.
Academically, Henderson seems to have been distinctly 'above average', being awarded the Chancellor's Latin Essay Prize in 1842 and the Ellerton Theological Prize in 1843. In 1845, shortly after his ordination, he was appointed Headmaster of Magdalen College School, but a year later accepted a Tutorship at Durham University. His career affords an excellent example of the academic pluralities which were not uncommon at that time, since he became a Fellow of Magdalen College twelve months after migrating to Durham, and retained that benefit until his departure from the British mainland.
After one session as Principal of Hatfield Hall, Henderson went as Headmaster to Victoria College, Jersey and remained there for ten years. This employment was followed by 22 years as Headmaster of Leeds Grammar School whence he was translated to the Deanery of Carlisle. There he remained for a further 21 years, until his death in 1905.
Dr Edward Bradby
Edward Bradby, born 1826, was a Scholar of Balliol College, took a 'First' in Literae Humaniores. In 1848, received the Oxford MA degree in 1852, and, like Henderson, was accorded an honorary Durham DD in 1882. Bradby was appointed Tutor of Durham University and Principal of Hatfield Hall in 1852 at the remarkably young age of 26 years.
Bradby was not ordained until shortly after his Principalship had terminated. When he left Durham in 1853 he became Assistant Master in Classics and Housemaster at Harrow. From 1868 to 1883 he was Headmaster of Haileybury and, after his resignation from that post, devoted himself to welfare work in the East End of London until his death in 1896. While at Haileybury, he also became an Honorary Canon of St Albans Cathedral (1878).
James Lonsdale was the eldest son of John Lonsdale, Bishop of Lichfield. He was a Scholar of Balliol, taking his BA in 1837, with a 'First' in Literae Humaniores and a 'Second' in Maths. He received his MA in 1840 and was ordained in 1842. Londsale also provides an excellent illustration of the pluralities enjoyed, or endured, by academics and clerics at that time. For example, he combined a Durham University Tutorship (1852-54) with the Principalship of Bishop Hatfield's Hall (1853-54) and the Curacy of Little Whitley, while at the same time retaining a Balliol Fellowship from 1838 to 1864.
Lonsdale then had a year as Moderator in Oxford, and was Examining Chaplain, successively, to the Bishop of Lichfield and to the Bishop of Man. In 1865, he became Professor of Classics at King's College, London, and remained there until his death in 1892-concurrently holding, first the living of Luffenham near Stamford (1870-73), and then the rectorship of Huntspill in Somerset (1873-78).
No likeness of James Lonsdale has been found.
John Pedder 1824 - 1890
(Principal 1854 - 1859)
John Pedder, the fifth Principal of Bishop Hatfield's Hall, was born in 1824, and entered University College Durham about 1841. Originally, he had studied Engineering and qualified CE (Class II) in 1843. He then undertook a bachelor's degree, graduating in 1845 with 1st Class Honours in Mathematics, and collecting both the Maths and Chemistry Prizes en route. Subsequently, he received the Licentiate in Theology. Before transferring to Hatfield, he had been Bursar of University College (1848-51) and the first Principal of Bishop Cosin's Hall (1851-54). He was also a University Tutor from 1855 to 1859.
Of his domestic life, little is known, except that he married Harriet, eldest daughter of Canon Professor Henry Jenkyns, late Fellow of Oriel College and Professor of Divinity at Durham from 1834 to 1864. It has been remarked earlier that Pedder's Principalship coincided with a decline in the size of Hatfield Hall, but his pleasant personality certainly attracted to Hatfield one of its outstanding characters. Canon J T Fowler, in his autobiography, records:
I was intending to enter at University College...remembering that the rooms at Hatfield were furnished and that the Caution money was less, 'chuck' University College and go to the Hall.
At the conclusion of his Principalship in 1859, Pedder was appointed Rector of Meldon in Northumberland, where he remained until 1870. He then migrated to the Rectory of North Stoke, Somerset, and held that living from 1870 to 1877. On retirement, he moved to Bath where he died in 1890.
James Barmby 1823 - 1897
(Principal 1859 - 1876)
James Barmby was Principal of Hatfield Hall for 17 years. His father was a Fellow of University College, Oxford. The younger Barmby was awarded a Scholarship there, and eventually emerged in 1845 as BA with a 1st Class in Maths and a 2nd Class in Literae Humaniores. He took both the MA degree (1848) and the BD (1855) at Magdalen College, where, immediately prior to his appointment at Hatfield, he had for 13 years been a Fellow and Lecturer in Mathematics.
Barmby came to Hatfield shortly after his marriage in 1859 to Katherine Wood by whom he subsequently had four sons and two daughters. Barmby increased numbers at Hatfield, improved the quality of student accommodation and introduced choral services in Hatfield Chapel. At Durham, he taught Maths and also ably assisted the Professor of Divinity. Nevertheless, he found time to produce a volume of plays for young people and to write with erudition on the lives of several Popes.
In 1876, Barmby left Hatfield to be Rector of Pittington in County Durham. During the years at Pittington from 1876 to 1894, he was active in pastoral work (becoming Rural Dean of Easington in 1890), but still managed to continue as a man of letters. Durham honoured him with a DD in 1893. The following year he was transferred to the Rectorship of Northallerton, but four years later, in 1897, he died 'after a painful illness .... borne with patience and fortitude'. He left behind a strong impression of a vigorous, scholarly man, beloved and respected by his students and parishioners alike.
Dr William Sanday
William Sanday was a very distinguished academic, as is demonstrated by the formidable collection of honorary degrees which he accumulated, namely, DD Edinburgh 1877, D D Durham 1882, DCL Dublin 1887, and DD Oxford 1895. Born at Holme Pierrepont, Notts. in 1843, Sanday received his schooling at Repton. His university education commenced at Balliol College, but shortly afterwards he went as a Scholar to Corpus Christi College, Oxford and duly received a BA in 1865, with a 'Double First in Classical Mods and Literae Humaniores.
From 1866 to 1873, Sanday was a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge (originally known as Durham College) where he took his MA in 1868, and simultaneously held appointments at St Nicholas, Abingdon (1871-72) and at Great Waltham in Essex (1872-73). He then became Rector of Bourton-on-the-Heath in Warwickshire for the three years immediately preceding his arrival at Hatfield Hall. In 1877, the year after his appointment at Hatfield, he married Marian Hastings, a kinsman of Warren Hastings.
After two years in the Hall, the Sandays moved their residence to 7 North Bailey. While in Durham, Sanday was also Examining Chaplain (1879-81) to Bishop Lightfoot, Public Examiner in Theology at Oxford (1876-77), and Select Preacher at Cambridge in 1880. During his Principalship of Hatfield, student numbers were greatly enhanced, additions were made to Hall properties, and many valuable amenities were introduced.
Dr Archibald Robertson
Archibald Robertson was another distinguished theologian. He was born at Sywell Rectory, Northants. on 29 June 1853. After attending Bradfield College in Berkshire, he entered Trinity College, Oxford as a Scholar in 1872. He took a 'First' in Literae Humaniores. In 1876, and was immediately appointed to a Fellowship at Trinity, which he retained until 1886. He was also Dean of that college from 1879 until 1883, when he was appointed Principal of Hatfield.
Like Sanday, Robertson married in 1885, shortly after his arrival in Durham. His wife was Julia Mann. The Robertsons resided at 7 North Bailey, and had three sons. During his term in Durham, Robertson was Senior Proctor (1893-96), Public Examiner in the Theology School at Oxford (1894-97), and received an honorary Durham D D in 1893. He left the North-East in 1897 to become Principal of King's College, London, where he remained until 1903, officiating as Vice-Chancellor of London University 1902-03, and acting as Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Bristol during the course of his Principalship at King's.
Like Bishop van Mildert before him, Robertson was also Bampton Lecturer at Oxford. In 1903, he was consecrated Lord Bishop of Exeter, and served as one of the 1908 Royal Commissioners appointed to reform the University of Durham. He retired from the bishopric in 1916, and lived in Oxford, until his death in 1931, his wife having predeceased him by six years.
1858 - 1935
(Principal 1897 - 1919; Master 1919 - 1923)
Frank Jevons was the first of a sequence of lay Principals. Born in 1858, the son of John William Jevons of Doncaster, Jevons went up to Wadham College, Oxford as a Scholar at the age of seventeen, and in 1879 gained a 'Double First' in Classical Mods and Literae Humaniores. He then taught for a brief period at Manchester Grammar School. In 1882 (the year he received an Oxford MA), he was appointed Tutor in Classics at Durham University, in place of W E Gabbett who had died that year in an Alpine climbing accident.
A decade later Jevons became Censor of Unattached Members (subsequently regrouped as St Cuthbert's Society), retaining that post until his appointment as Principal of Hatfield Hall. Within Durham University, Jevons held nearly every office worthy of mention. He was Senior Proctor (1896-99), Acting University Treasurer (1898-1902), Sub-Warden of Durham University (1902-09), the first Vice-Chancellor of the reconstituted university (1909-12), Professor of Philosophy (1910-30), and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (1912-22). Jevons also had the peculiar distinction of spanning the transformation from Hall to College in 1919, and of serving both as Principal of one, and Master of the other.
Jevons married Ellen Louisa Cox but they had no children. On retirement, Jevons moved to Nottingham, spending his last days in a nursing home at Radcliffe-on-Trent. There he died in 1936, his wife having predeceased him by two years.
Arthur Robinson 1864 - 1948
(Master 1923 - 1940)
Arthur Robinson, who succeeded Jevons as tenth head of the College after serving for 23 years as Bursar, was born in 1864. In 1899, he married Edith Jones and had two daughters, one of whom, Audrey, married the geographer, Professor Gordon Manley in 1930. Their wedding reception was held on the lawns of Jevons's House, now partly covered by Pace Building, partly transformed into Dunham Court.
Arthur Robinson received private tuition in his early years, then entered Bishop Hatfield's Hall and graduated there in Classics in 1891. He was Theology Scholar in 1887, Hebrew Prizeman in 1888, Theology Exhibitioner in 1889, Gabbett Essay Prizeman in 1892, MA (Dunelm) 1894, BCL 1896, and DCL 1900. He became a Fellow of Durham University in 1895, was appointed Lecturer in Classics in 1899, and occupied that post until 1910. He was a Proctor for ten years in the early part of the present century, acted as Secretary to the Council of the Durham Colleges from 1910 to 1915 and as Secretary of Examinations, 1919-22, and served as a local Justice of the Peace.
Robinson was appointed Professor of Logic and Psychology in 1910, but twelve years later metamorphosed into the first Durham Professor of Education, retaining this latter title until his retirement in 1940. During the greater part of his Principalship, that is from 1925 onwards, he resided at Observatory House on the western outskirts of Durham, but retained a set in Hatfield, now converted into the Senior Common Room ante-room.
Robinson died in 1948, and his ashes, together with those of his wife (who survived him for a further eleven years), were placed behind a brass commemorative plate in the north wall of the College Chapel.
In 1940, Hatfield College became intimately united with University College for nine years, under the comprehensive Mastership of Angus Macfarlane-Grieve, MC, TD, MA. Born in 1891, the new Master had been educated at Perse School and at University College, Durham. There, he graduated with Honours in Mathematics in 1913, despite a distinguished career as a university oarsman, and undeterred by his appointment in his final undergraduate year to the Presidency of the University Boat Club.
After graduation, he remained for a brief period at Durham as a Tutor, but in 1914 was commissioned into the Highland Light Infantry. Later, while serving in France with the 2nd Battalion, he obtained a regular commission in the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. By 1918, he had been awarded the Military Cross and was Acting Lieutenant-Colonel. In 1923, he retired from the Army with the substantive rank of Major and returned to Durham as Lecturer in Military Subjects.
Macfarlane-Grieve promptly set about re-organizing the sporting life of the Durham Colleges, with particular respect to rowing-coaching many successful college and university crews, figuring prominently on Durham University Athletic Union, publishing a book entitled "A History of Durham Rowing", and serving as Chairman of the Durham Regatta Committee.
In 1929, he married Sarah St Osyth, a lecturer at St Hild's College, Durham. From 1923, Macfarlane-Grieve was also Bursar of University College; and in 1939 he succeeded the Rev. John Hall How (formerly Censor of Hatfield Hall) as the first Master of the Castle not in Holy Orders. The exigencies of the Second World War necessitated the amalgamation of University and Hatfield Colleges, so that one year later Macfarlane-Grieve was appointed acting Master of Hatfield too.
In the years immediately following the war Macfarlane-Grieve co-operated sympathetically in the gradual reconstitution of Hatfield College as an autonomous body, and concluded his career in Durham by serving as Sub-Warden of the Durham Colleges from 1948 to 1953. In this latter year, on succeeding his brother in the family estate at Edenhall, he retired from the Mastership of University College and withdrew to the Scottish Borders, to interest himself in farming and forestry, and to establish his two adopted sons as farmers in Dumfriesshire: although he continued to make frequent forays south in the true Border tradition. He died at his house in Langhohne in 1970 aged 79 years.
Eric Birley 1906 - 1995
Eric Birley was born in 1906 at Swinton, near Manchester. He was educated at Clifton and at Brasenose College, Oxford, where he graduated BA in 1928 with a 'Double First' in Classical Mods and Greats. It is a remarkable coincidence that David Melville, first Principal of Hatfield Hall, and Eric Birley, his direct successor at the rebirth of Hatfield College exactly a century later, had both been Scholars of Brasenose, and it is fitting that their portraits should now hang together in Hatfield dining hall.
Birley was appointed to a lectureship in archaeology at Durham in 1931. In 1934, he married Margaret Isabel Goodlet and they had two sons. Shortly after mobilization with the TA reserve in August 1939, he was assigned to Military Intelligence. He remained in that branch until December 1945, becoming a Lieutenant-Colonel, and receiving the MBE and the Polonia Restituta in recognition of his wartime services.
Returning to Durham at the end of the war, Birley was soon involved in the lobby concerned to ensure that an independent Hatfield College should be re-established. He was appointed Vice-Master in 1947 and was the obvious choice to be appointed Master of the newly reborn College in 1949. In the seven years that he served as Master, Birley created a stable administrative pattern and a satisfactory community.
By 1955, Birley began to find that his growing college and his expanding department were becoming an exacting combination. Presumably, feeling that the former was set steady on a favourable course, he determined to concentrate his energies upon the latter. In 1956 he announced his resignation from the Mastership. He continued his academic career at Durham, becoming professor archaeology. He retired from his post as Head of the Department of Archaeology in 1970. Eric Birley died aged 89 in 1995.
Bill Fisher came to Hatfield in 1954 as Reader in charge of the Department of Geography and a resident member of the Hatfield Senior Common Room with a flat at the top of Pace block. He became President of the Senior Common Room and Vice-Master of Hatfield from 1955 until 1964 as well as being Head of the Geography Department as Professor.
Fisher made an enormous contribution to Hatfield, was very interested in students, an entertaining companion, an exceptional pianist and a polished host. He was Acting Master for the Michaelmas term of 1956 after the departure of Eric Birley and before the appearance of Tom Whitworth whom he continued to serve as Vice-Master.
Eventually Fisher was President of the Graduate Society. In addition to his duties in the Geography Department , as well as Director of the Middle East Centre and Public Orator of the University. Outside interests included Chairmanship of a Housing Association, founder member of Town and Gown, Chairman of the Governors of the High School and a keen friend of the Cathedral where he worshipped and assisted.
Thomas Whitworth 1917 - 1979
Tom Whitworth was born in London in 1917. He was a successful foundation scholar of Manchester Grammar School and in Open Exhibitioner at Oriel College, Oxford where he read Zoology 1937-39.
During World War II, Whitworth served with the Royal Engineers (Bomb Disposal) in North Africa, interrupting his university studies. He returned to Oxford after the war and obtained a First in Geology in 1947. He was a Burdett-Coutts Scholar 1947-49 and was awarded a D Phil in 1950. He then served as University Demonstrator in Geology at Oxford and Lecturer of Oriel College 1949-56.
Whitworth was appointed Master of Hatfield in 1956. An all-round sportsman himself, he encouraged all sport but especially rugby in which Hatfield became regarded as a nursery for British Rugby in recognition of the many Internationals who began their careers here. Bias in selection and treatment of rugby-playing students was hotly denied by Whitworth who was himself President of Durham University Rugby Football Club from 1963 until his death and also President of Durham County RFC. He was also Chairman of the Referees Association.
Whitworth wrote the history of Hatfield in its first 125 years - Yellow Brick and Yellow Sandstone. He later described it as much admired but little purchased. In 1941, Whitworth married Joan Muriel, elder daughter of Sir Clifford Agarwala. They had one son and two daughters. After a length of service as Master second only to that of Professor Jevons, Whitworth died suddenly in 1979 - the only Master to die in office.
Stoker born 1936
(Acting Master 1979)
Sam Stoker was appointed Senior Tutor in 1972 and Vice-Master in 1973. Born in Durham in 1936, Sam was a Hatfield student from 1955-1958. He graduated in History and added a higher degree in education to his qualifications. He received the Sword of Honour at OCTU and was subsequently a RAF officer. His teaching career was in Durham Technical College where he reached the post of Senior Lecturer. His part-time commitment was to the School of Education but Hatfield received the lion's share of his time and interest and it was as a Hatfield College Officer that he served both Tom Whitworth and James Barber.
Sam Stoker became Acting Master when Tom Whitworth died in office in December 1979 and remained so until James Barber arrived for October 1980. He was a conscientious worker who did not delegate easily, preferring to see the job done as he wished it done. His interest in the Hatfield Association had always been strong and for those members, he represented continuity and reliability. He kept meticulous records, and had a card index system approaching a mechanised database before the days of computerisation. Always his own man, he still sports a characteristically short haircut, regardless of changing fashions.
In 1989 Sam Stoker became Principal of St Cuthbert's Society, a post that he held for over ten years until his retirement in 2000. He continued to maintain an interest in Hatfield affairs, however, serving as President of the Hatfield Association from 2001 to 2004.
James Barber born 1931
(Master 1980 - 1996 )
Born in Liverpool in 1931, James Barber was educated at Liverpool Institute High School, Pembroke College Cambridge, and Queen's College, Oxford. He was Pilot Officer in the RAF from 1950 to 1952 before joining the Foreign Office, serving in Uganda as District Officer, Clerk to the Cabinet and Assistant Secretary to the Prime Minister. He then lectured in University of New South Wales, Australia, and the University of Exeter before joining the Open University where he became Professor of Politics and Pro-Vice-Chancellor.
In 1980, James Barber became Master of Hatfield - probably the first Master to have been appointed by open competition. With a background of political administration, university lecturing and pioneer work in the Open University, he also served Durham University as Professor of Politics, where he taught courses on Southern Africa and Britain. He became Pro-Vice- Chancellor.
A keen sportsman, (especially Hockey - he was President of University Hockey), James Barber spent a lot of time encouraging teams by his presence. This was much appreciated by students. During his term of office, the numbers of students increased from 386 to 673 and to cope with this accommodation problem, living-out became obligatory for most students for part of their career. Barber may well be best remembered for being the Master who embraced the strategy of co-education for Hatfield. 'Going mixed' proved to be a bold but successful initiative which underlies much of the present prosperity of the College.
The Hatfield Trust was conceived under Barber's guidance. He encouraged the Director, Arthur Moyes, to write Hatfield 1846-1996 - a detailed account of the College's first 150 years. Barber retired to Cambridge in 1996, with Fellowships in the Centre of International Studies, Cambridge, and the South African Institute of International Affairs to continue his intellectual interests.
King born 1936
(Acting Master 1992)
John King was born in 1936 in Lancashire and educated at Wigan Grammar School and Oxford University where he obtained an MA in Modem Languages. He joined the army in 1958 as a National Serviceman and retired 27 years later as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Army Educational Corps.
John King became Bursar of Hatfield in January 1986. In several ways he found his position in Hatfield similar to being in the Armed Services i.e. living and working in an educational community and he found that the ambience of SCR was similar to that of an Officers' Mess. He enjoys social functions and was for many years a badminton enthusiast. Since retiring from his post as Bursar in 1999, his interest in badminton has declined as his interest in snooker has increased.
In the absence of James Barber who went on sabbatical leave to South Africa for the latter half of 1992, John King acted as Master. This was the first term of the first female Senior Man in Hatfield.
Timothy Burt born 1951
Tim Burt was born in Somerset in 1951. He attended St John's College, Cambridge as an undergraduate, followed by a Master's degree at Carleton University, Ottawa (research on frozen soils) and a PhD at Bristol University (research on hillslope hydrology). He was a Senior Lecturer at Huddersfield Polytechnic until 1984 when he moved to Oxford University where he is Lecturer in Physical Geography. He is a Fellow of Keble College, where he has been successively Dean and Senior Tutor. Tim Burt was awarded a DSc in 1999 by Bristol University.
In 1996 Tim became Master of Hatfield and Professor of Geography. He has continued his geographical teaching and research, and his association with the Royal Geographical Society and the Field Studies Council (Chairman). As a dedicated academic himself, Tim is probably proudest of the Hatfield's record in final examinations where the number of First Class and Upper Second Class degrees seems to increase year by year. Largely because of his own research interests he has attracted postgraduates and distinguished Fellows to Hatfield and has encouraged the College to provide appropriate facilities in the MCR and SCR to accommodate them.
Tim is very keen on sport, especially soccer and cricket. He shows this by his presence whenever possible on the playing fields and his intimate knowledge of Hatfield's performance in a wide range of activities. He is also interested in the Arts - shown especially by his special encouragement of Music, and Fine Art.
Since his appointment as Master of Hatfield, Tim Burt has been Chairman of the Hatfield Trust and has always appreciated the efforts made by the Trust to support the work of the College. He was seconded to be Dean of Colleges and Student Support Service in the University of Durham from 2002 until 2006.
Tim Burt married in 1973. He and Liz have one daughter and one son.
Scott born 1948
(Acting Master 2002 - 2006)
Angel Scott was born in Bedford in 1948. At six months of age she was taken to South Wales to live in a small village at the bottom of the Rhondda Valley until University in 1967. She read English at London University before going to Southampton University for a PGCE in English and Drama.
Angel taught in two very different schools before moving to Manchester to take up a post as Head of English in 1976. She left full-time teaching in 1982 on the birth of her daughter by which time she was Acting Deputy Head of a large comprehensive school in Manchester. She started a second career as a freelance educationalist involved in teaching, lecturing, examining and educational publishing.
In 1995, Angel started a third career as full-time University Lecturer in English Education at Durham University's School of Education. She was then appointed Senior Tutor of Hatfield in 1998, and Vice Master in 2000. During the period that the Master was seconded as Dean of Colleges from 2002 to 2006, Angel Scott served as Acting Master of Hatfield.
|Penny Widdison born 1954
(Acting Master 2010 - 2011)
Penny was born in County Durham in 1954. She was appointed Hatfield's Senior Tutor in 2006 and is Acting Master during the Master's research leave from Easter 2010 to Easter 2011. Prior to that, Penny was a College Tutor.
Penny’s academic background includes BA Hons in Geography and PGCE, both from what was then Newcastle Polytechnic and a BSc from the Open University. Penny taught Geography at a large Comprehensive School in Gateshead before returning to education to study for an MSc and then a PhD, both in the Geography Department at Durham.
Penny’s academic interests are varied, but focus on research combining human and physical geography methodologies, in particular, the impacts of land use and public policy on water quality in agricultural catchments. She also has an interest in the applications of image processing and GIS software for the interpretation of remote sensed images. Penny maintains contact with the Geography department.