DURHAM UNIVERSITY SPELEOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
DUSA is a friendly, easy-going club dedicated to caving and mine exploration. We get to see and explore parts of the world that most people never will!
Day trips run most weekends, with longer trips during the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays. We have training sessions every week in Durham, along with regular visits to the Durham Climbing Centre. All equipment for our trips will be provided for you.
If you are interested but not sure if caving is for you, try it out anyway! Don’t worry if you haven’t done anything similar before - most of our members had never caved before Durham and beginners are always welcome.
In addition to caving, we organise a variety of socials throughout the year - with bar crawls, ice-skating, or a curry and movie night, you're bound to have a cracking time! We also have our weekly social at the Victoria Inn at 9pm every Tuesday.
NOTE - we're having online socials until it's safe to return to normal
We run training sessions most weeks from Silverlink Bridge in Pelaw Woods. Please feel free to come along!
We practise/teach the rope techniques that you need for vertical caving. Get in touch/check the group chat for more info.
On every caving trip you will need:
- Clothes for the cave - these should be warm and synthetic (not cotton or jeans). Ideally wear fleeces, thermals, leggings, walking trousers etc., something you won't mind getting ruined
- Wellies - we might be able to lend some
- Spare clothes to wear afterwards
- High-sugar snack e.g. a mars bar
- (Optional) Gloves
- (Optional) Money for food / takeaway